Nan's Site

blog 10

More interactions occur in personal learning networks, and therefore, a lot of connections and links are formed. With these links and contacts, we can be able to build a comprehensive digital identity. With a broad digital identity, there is access to more information, creating room for more opportunities and further learning in the present and the future. So on my learning network, I will make sure that I interact with as many people as possible on personal, educational, and professional levels. I will introduce these people to my digital identity platform and probably learn theirs’ too. These people may become helpful in the future.

To have a digital identity in your industry of choice means interacting and learning from digital platforms that deal with issues related to your specified profession or academic path. For example, a student taking an engineering course decides to join a digital platform that addresses engineering issues only. In this digital platform, they create a digital identity that only associates them with matters concerning engineering. Whenever there is a trend or new information about their industry of choice, they easily access it. With digital identity in your industry of choice, employers can access your data and create a door for opportunities (Oliveira & Morgado, page 470). The openness of a digital identity connects a person to opportunities in their industries of choice, helping in the person’s career and professional development over time.

Personal learning networks involve people teaching and learning from other people within the network (Oliveira & Morgado, page 471). In these digital platforms, different people come to learn, and further information is shared. The information shared on these platforms includes job postings and career guidance. The platforms accommodate people of all rankings, and therefore even employers who are open to learning and sharing ideas are found in the platforms. Thus, the personal learning network can be relied on but not entirely to open professional opportunities.

Oliveira, Nuno, and Lina Morgado. “Digital Identity of Researchers and Their Personal Learning Network.” LNCS, vol. 8524, no. 8524, 2014, pp. 467–477, link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-07485-6_46.pdf. Accessed 27 Mar. 2021.